Jennifer K. submitted a question using our Ask the Burning Geek form. Below is her questions and our answer.
Question: I have recently upgraded to a Blu Ray player and was wondering if it was possible to copy protected Blu Ray movies like I can with my DVD movies?
To be able to get around the copy protections (BD+, AACS, and other DRM protections) found on Blu Ray discs you must use a decrypter. In other words a piece of software that runs in the background on your Windows 7, Vista, or XP machine and basically decrypts any code placed on a Blu Ray that prevents it from being copied. There are free and paid software solutions currently available including:
However once this is in place you still need a Blu Ray copying software that can correctly read and burn the entire BD disc correctly. You simply can not just copy the contents of the disc from Windows Explorer to your hard drive and burn it using the built in Windows burner app. I wish it were that simple, but using a proper software is essential to make sure the authoring of the disc is in the correct Blu Ray format so when played on a standard Blu Ray player it will be readable and playable.
Burn protected Blu Ray movies using the right software
Our favorite way to copy these types of discs consists of using only one piece of software that is easy to use. ( I like the easy methods over the more complicated ones, don't you? )
- DVDFab Blu Ray Copy is by far the best method to use for copying protected Blu Ray movies. There are many reasons why we like to use this over other solutions.
- DVDFab has been around before DVD's were big and have mastered the DVD backup process and this has carried over into Blu Ray as well
- They have a build in decrypter so no other 3rd party software is necessary for it to work correctly
- They have one of the best conversion apps integrated into their software meaning that you get the best video and audio quality during the conversion
- Their user base is large and have a great online support system should you need it
- They have the lowest price for this type of software currently available. Under $50 with their coupon code.
Be sure to check out their site to download it and try for yourself
Thanks to Jennifer K. for submitting this question. We hope it gave you a solid way to copy protected Blu Ray movies. Be sure to subscribe to our RSS feed to stay up to date on all of the latest Blu Ray Copying methods.