As technology continues to advance, CDs, DVDs, and, yes, even Blu Rays slowly become more and more outdated. Blu Ray players took the place of CD’s and DVD’s as the go to format for digital optical data storage discs. As of 2008, even Toshiba, the main corporation that initially created and supported the DVD format finally threw their lot in with Blu Ray due to its increasing popularity. Shortly thereafter, Toshiba launched their own version of a Blu Ray player. But with this new generation of optical discs, a new problem arose. This issue regarded copying information from one source over to the next. More specifically, people wanted to copy data over to their computers. In the previous DVD era, people used a DVD decrypter to copy information from DVDs (such as commercial movies). The market now has a need for a good Blu Ray decrypter. But you may be asking yourself “What is a Blu Ray Decrypter and How Does it Work”? Our goal with today’s post is to provide you with all of the answers to your questions.
The Blu Ray Association, together with several other corporations which sought to protect their content from possible copyright infringement, took active measures to prevent decryption. These new Blu Rays include an extra layer of protection called BD+ as well as a BD-ROM mark that makes all unauthorized copies of a Blu Ray unreadable on most devices. Still, the creative teams behind more than one decryption software already managed to circumvent these layers of protection. These teams produced efficient software that allows the decryption of Blu Ray movies. While developers already produced several versions of software specifically for this task, choosing the best version may prove quite difficult for those of you who aren’t as knowledgeable about the medium. If you want to know what the best Blu Ray decrypter for your current needs is, here is our top 5 list.
Top 5 Best Blu Ray Decrypter Software
1. DumpHD – DumpHD, one of the first successful software programs that managed to circumvent the BD+ protection in 2007, remains very popular among casual Blu Ray users. Its main advantage lies in the simplicity of its user interface. This simplicity definitely makes it the best Blu Ray decrypter for beginners or users who are simply not that IT-savvy. The software designers derived the simplicity from the BackupHDDVD tool which many users preferred back in the days of DVD decryption. You can download the program for free from Softpedia.
2. AnyDVD HD – Many industry experts still view this Blu Ray decrypter as the leader in the Blu Ray decryption market. It offers a much more professional look than DumpHD (presented above). It remains perhaps the most popular choice among users in the market for a Blu Ray decrypter. SlySoft developed this program which can be tried for free for a trial period of 21 days. Following this period, the user must purchase a product key from SlySoft if they wish to continue using the product. You can try it out at the manufacturer’s site here.
3. DVD Fab Blu Ray Passkey – DVD Fab is another professional decrypter which you can use on Blu Ray discs pretty smoothly. It is a professional piece of software, which means you must purchase it as well. The good news is that it’s slightly less pricy than its competitor, AnyDVD HD (presented above). Experts consider DVD Fab as the best choice for the Windows 32 bit and 64 bit platforms. Also, the software automatically updates itself from a server, so you will not need to worry about new Blu Ray protections impeding your process by making your decrypter software outdated. You can read a more comprehensive review which we previously wrote about it here.
4. Blu Ray/HD DVD Copy Helper – This is another free software which existed on the market for quite a few years. It’s tried and tested by many users and still remains one of the best Blu Ray decrypters out there for people who don’t want to pay for a professional tool. However, one of its disadvantages is the fact that the support for it has been discontinued. This lack of support means the software no longer receives updates on the new disc protections which are currently being released. Therefore, some users experience trouble with it if they work on the most recent Blu Ray discs. You can read a comprehensive guide on how to install it (complete with a download link) here.
5. Leawo Blu Ray Copy – Leawo is another professional tool that currently ranks among the best on several review sites. Although some users prefer more expensive pieces of software over this one, we believe it offers the best value for your money. The minor downsides to this Blu Ray decrypter tool is the fact that it can sometimes reduce the quality of your copies slightly (though the opinions aren’t very clear on it yet). Also, it does not copy info to portable video devices (such as a tablet). You can read more about it (complete with a purchase link and a free trial) here.
As a note, please remember that having a Blu Ray decrypter software isn’t enough to copy information from the decrypted Blu Ray discs. This kind of software only removes the protection which prevents you from copying the information stored. In order to actually copy it, you will still need to have a burning program installed on your computer or device. You will not be able to simply drag and drop the information from the Blu Ray to your computer’s folders once the protection has been removed.