What Is It?
The Cyberlink PowerDVD software has had many editions over the years, and if you’ve ever used a computer with a Blu-ray video player, then you probably already worked with one version of the Cyberlink software at some point or another. Many commercial Blu-ray disks cannot be played from your computer’s DVD and Blu-ray player unless you also have a proper software for it, and most such software (used for both playing the disks and burning them with new data) isn’t free, with one notable exception: the Cyberlink PowerDVD series. The software isn’t precisely free per se, but it is received for free upon buying a new computer or a new Blu-ray player. This is what contributed over the years to the growing Cyberlink user pool.
The most recent edition of this popular DVD burning software is the Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra (also known as PowerDVD 15). It comprises multiple tools of playing and burning both DVDs and Blu-rays, as well as the proper tools for accessing Blu Ray 3D content, or editing tools designed for improving the quality of old movies and data. According to its producers, the PowerDVD Ultra is ‘an unbeatable solution for high definition video, and a highly versatile all-in-one entertainment application’. Read our Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra BurnWorld Review for the full scoop on this software’s features and specs.
Cyberlink PowerDVD Burnworld Review: Specifications
Type of software: Premium.
Compatible operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista (and soon Windows 10, with the impending upgrade most users will probably opt for).
System requirements: a Blu-ray disk playback, an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (or up), Intel Core i5 for the TrueTheater HD graphics, at least 2 GB RAM memory, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT or ATI Radeon HD 5000 video card (or above).
Recommended price: $99.95 for the Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra on Amazon. There are also 2 simpler versions available for a lower price than the Ultra: the Pro version (for $80.00) and the Standard version (available for $60.00).
Cyberlink PowerDVD Burnworld Review: Features
These are the main features of the PowerDVD Ultra software package (and we’re especially focusing on what this latest version brings new compared to older editions of the Cyberlink DVD burning software.
Next Generation True Theater Technologies
All reviews for the Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra agree that the video quality of all the movies you’ll be watching from now on will be unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before. If the idea of your computer becoming close to a home cinema sparks up your interest (or maybe you actually already own the hardware components of an actual Home Cinema System), then the PowerDVD Ultra pack is the ideal Blu Ray burning software and media rendering tool. Also, Blu Ray 3D movie rendering will also not be a problem whatsoever.
Broad Format Support
The product’s developers are actually boasting the PowerDVD Ultra to have the broadest range of format support currently on the market, and it seems their claim is sustained. You can even play Blu-ray or DVD movies directly from their ISO format (no converting necessary), no matter if they are stored on your PC or on a connected drive. Also, there is no need to worry for format compatibility issues for any of your media files, no matter if we’re talking about audio, video or image files.
Additional Apps for Cloud Services and Mobile Devices
With the help of this PowerDVD Ultra feature, all of your accounts, storage units and media folders can be more connected than ever, so that you can quickly organize them into folders to be burned onto Blu-ray disks or DVDs or schedule them for playing. Move across Dropbox folders and data stored on your tablet or phone easily from your PC with the help of the Cyberlink tools! You can also use the Cyberlink movie rendering quality for those extra devices as well, so the inter-connectedness really goes both ways.
Improved Media Library
With this edition new media library, Cyberlink users will be able to better organize and find their movies and all media files on their device, no matter how scattered the folders may be. The PowerDVD Ultra allows users to pick off right from the moment at which they left their searches or movies renderings at. Also, if a movie file is closed, the next time it will be re-played it will automatically begin at the very moment the play-back reached last, hopefully saving time and eliminating frustration for lots of users.
Enhanced Functionality and Personalization Options
Do you remember those cool (but sometimes also poorly designed through fan submissions) Winamp skins from back then? Well, some of that spirit seems to be returning to us through the new Cyberlink PowerDVD. Users are able to customize not only the background (wallpaper) of their movie player, but also quite a number of other interface options and features as well.
- Flawless video rendering and high definition audio output: the PowerDVD Ultra features will make the playing of any audio or video file a Home Cinema-style experience.
- The super-broad format support makes it a tool powerful enough for pros and amateurs alike.
- The user-friendliness of the software is unexpected considering its complexity and wide range of tools and options.
- The Blu Ray 3D movie playing is a much welcome bonus.
- The wide support and functionality across platforms (like connected devices or other mobile devices or cloud services) makes this Cyberlink software the ultimate all-in-one media tool (thus earning its ‘Ultimate’ name).
- The price is not at all prohibitive: just a little under $100 for all your media needs for a very long time from now on is not expensive at all on this market. There is also the option of subscribing to the PowerDVD Ultimate for $15 per month or $45 per year, but buying it makes much more sense.
- The personalization options are definitely a more than welcome perk, and can go way beyond cosmetic tweaks, down to the way you prefer playing and organizing your media files.
- The only issue with this Cyberlink version that we’ve been able to identify is that it tends to eat up its fair share of your internet connection bandwidth. If you use the software to watch Youtube videos on high quality and you’re also using other programs to download files, your videos may not render properly. Make sure you pause or postpone ongoing downloads while you use the Cyberlink PowerDVD for internet movies and all should be fine.
We definitely recommend the Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra as the ultimate all-in-one software for all your media files, and for high-quality movie and audio rendering. After comparing its features with those of competing software or other recent versions of the Cyberlink series, we concluded that the PowerDVD Ultra is definitely the best of them all under all aspects.