Many of our readers may be interested in removing ads simply because they’re mildly annoying, while others may be in favor of ad support simply because it’s a way to maintain the websites and the free software that they’re using live. Still, when it comes to the ads promoted by the major torrent clients (and probably your torrent client as well), things can be more dangerous and a little more complicated than this simple debate.
In case you weren’t familiar with this threat, you should know that many of the ads from clients (downloaders) are laced with malware which have been reported in quite a few scandals lately. In today’s BurnWorld guide, we will show you how to remove ads from torrent clients easily and for free. No fancy tools involved, no fuss, and then you will be able to feel safer with your torrent needs.
How to Remove Ads from Your Torrent Client
There are three main clients which also display ads in addition to allowing users to download their torrents. It is highly likely that you’re using one of these three giants: uTorrent, BitTorrent or BitComet. Here is how to remove ads for said clients for each case (uTorrent and BitTorrent will be discussed together as the procedure is identical).
How to Remove Ads from uTorrent and BitTorrent
If you are using either of these two clients for your torrents downloads, here is how you can remove ad support (prevent ads from being featured). First of all, open the ‘Options’ menu and select the ‘Preferences’ tab (or simply press Ctrl + P) to access it directly. A list of options will pop up, and some of them should be disabled in order for the ads to stop showing in your client. You can either scroll through the list (find them manually in the ‘Name’ column) or simply type their name in the search bar (the ‘Filter’ box). These are the names of options you should find:
Once you manage to find them, make sure to check the Value column boxes next to them in order to change them from True to False. Once you make sure that you did this for each of the options, it’s safe for you to return to the main window. The pesky ads won’t bother you again while you use torrents. You can also have the GUI elements removed in order to save up some memory usage, if you’d like. These can be removed from the Options menu, by deselecting the following:
- Show Toolbar (this can also be done by pressing F4);
- Show Sidebar (this can also be done by pressing F7);
- Show Bundles (this can also be done by pressing F8).
How to Remove Ads from BitComet
As for BitComet users, the process on removing ad support from their torrent client is a little different. The ads in this client will show up by the following display elements: Start Page, Comments, Snapshots Tabs, Homepage, Movies, Music, Software, Games and Forums Buttons (these last ones are present on the toolbar). Your goal is to hide these buttons from your client’s interface, in order to prevent ads from showing up as well.
In order to do that, you need to go to View / Toolbar / Buttons and disable each of these items: Homepage, Movies, Music, Software, Games, and Forums. You can also deselect other items you don’t really need in your interface. Here is an overview of the steps you could follow for removing ad support from your client if you’re a BitComet user.
- Deselect ‘Show Search Box’ from the View/ Toolbar menu in order to hide your search box. You deselect it by clicking on it.
- Do the same for the ‘Show Toolbar’ option in order to deselect the toolbar from showing up in the interface.
- Open the Tools menu and go to Options (or press Ctrl + P), then manually deselect the following tabs: Start Page, Snapshots and Comments. To do that, select ‘Appearance’ from the list on the left, and then click on the menu situated next to ‘Default detailed info’ and only select the tabs you actually need and use during your torrents activity. Hint: you should probably only need the Statistics and Files tabs. Click OK to apply the changes and then you can return to the main menu.
- You should also get rid of any extra columns next to your list of downloaded files, since those can display ads as well. Open the View menu and just deselect Show Favorites.
Once you have removed the ad display from your client, using it should be safe from any malware threat. You can consider showing your support of the software through other means, if displaying ads is no longer the default way.